Saturday, September 27, 2014

Kyoto: Heian Temple and the Kyoto Museum of Traditional Crafts


This is the giant torii gate in front of the Kyoto Museum of Modern Art.


Heian Temple was having some type of martial arts exhibitiion so I left and went to a Traditional Handicrafts store.


I had lunch at a souflee shop.


I went back to Heian temple.  This is the left side of the courtyard.


The cenral portion of the courtyard.


The right portion of the courtyard.


A close up of the the left side of the courtyard.


Trees with prayers attached to them (written on paper).


You can buy a small placque and write a blessing on it.


Families purifying themselves before entering the temple.


The Kyoto Museum of Traditional Crafts.  I wish they allowed me to take pictures.  They had a cool loom with what looked like punch cards.  They had video demonstrations of Kimono painting, the making of lacquer boxes, basket weaving, and many other crafts.  They a cord braiding apparatus set up.  String is tied on "yo-yo" like "cookies."  When you alternate them in patterns they make different types of braids.

















No comments:

Post a Comment