Ode to Silver:
I call her National Silver
How I know it is a female I don't know
National is the brand name of the bike
I almost lost her at Higashihanazono station
Someone moved her and I couldn't find her in the dark
I tied pink string to the handlebars so I could find her easily
She only goes three speeds
Normal for flat surfaces
Slow when she goes uphill
Fast when she goes downhill
She has increased my travel distance by an order of magnitude
She's taken me to downtown Osaka, up the mountain toward Ikoma, north to the library and south to the road to Fuse
Today we took a tumble
I was impatient to get by an old lady on a three wheeler
I went to cross over to the other side and hit a curb
The bike went down and I broke the bell
I knew the front brakes were suspect but I hadn't gotten around to fixing them
I know there is a metaphor about shutting the barn doors after the horse has left
But I took it to the bike store and replaced the front brakes and gave her a new bell
Thanks for your service Silver and high ho Silver away!!!!!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment