Friday, June 13, 2014
Research
Research: In less than one month, I will fly to Japan with little to no knowledge of the language. I have flashbacks of my trip to Italy. I was six months pregnant with Sean Ryan (as he was called then) sitting on my bladder. I was convinced that I could survive if I knew how to ask for the location of a bathroom. So, I practiced and practiced until I could ask. I got up my courage and asked the host at a restaurant, only to realize that I did not have a clue what he responded.
I have no illusions that I am going to learn Japanese between now and when I leave. My goal is to learn to say hello, goodbye, excuse me, and I am sorry. So here is my three prong approach:
1 - Download iPad apps: Learn Japanese in 24 Hours - the native speaker says it clearly at a normal speed and then slowly. Kana Writing - practicing the two Japanese alphabets (Hiragana and Katakana) on the iPad or iPhone. I saw an app that had you chose a noun, verb, etc. and then it would say a phrase or sentence for you. I think that is my next download.
2 - Audio CD: Berlitz Japanese in 60 minutes - has 11 audio sections. I bought this CD for Kyle while he was taking Japanese at the local community college. I found it while I was packing. I have been listening to this before I go to sleep. I have lots of Japanese words swirling around in my brain, but have not idea what they mean. I can get to about the third segment and then I fall asleep.
3 - Books: I love books. I bought a pocket Japanese Dictionary (Random House), a Japanese Phrasebook and Dictionary (Lonely Planet), Japanese Hiragana & Katakana for Beginners (Tuttle), Japanese a Language Map, and The Japanese Way: Aspects of Behavior, Attitudes and Customs of the Japanese (Takada and Lampkin).
Labels:
Research
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment