Sunday, July 27, 2014

Functionally Illiterate



Functionally Illiterate:  It is, as my literacy coordinator mother knows, possible to be literate in one language and illiterate in another.   What kinds of coping mechanisms are used to function in a society where one is not literate.   

1. Watch what other people do.  In the supermarket they put a basket in a cart.  When it is time to pay they take the basket out of the cart and put it next to the scanning device.  The cashier scans each item and puts it in a different color basket.  She gives you enough plastic bags to bag your own groceries and then you pay your bill.  You take your new grocery basket to a counter and place your items in your bags.  Fold the flaps between the handles and tape them down.

2.  Smile a lot and be sorry.  I accidentally shop lifted this weekend.  Each section of the department store requires you pay them for the items in the section.   The cashier held up the hat and pointed to the section of the store where I got the item.  I took the hat back and paid there.  So sorry.

3.  Look at pictures.   In some restaurants they have pictures or displays of food items.  You point to the item and possibly the size and nod.

4.  When in doubt agree with them.  Yes, yes I agree with you.  I have no idea what you are saying but yes.  Do I want to jump off a bridge with you, yes.

5.  Try to use the language.  I am determined to learn key phrases. Everyone gets a good morning even if it is a mumbled Ohio..... Everyone gets a thank you, domo arrigato.

6.  Learn to read, write, and speak the language.  I have been diligently listening to my conversation tapes.  I just started to learn the Hiragana alphabet.  There are 46 characters and as Kyle would say it is a baby alphabet because most preschools learning it before kindergarten.   The cards I am using have Hiragana characters on one side and pneumonic devices and pronounciation on the other side.

7.  Laugh at yourself.  Three young boys in my class were pointing and laughing at me.  I asked Mayu why and she said your hair is curly.  I didn't realize that was a laughing matter but I laughed along too.  When I was near the train station some young boys were riding by on their bikes and one said hi.  So I said hello.  They started laughing and said Ohio.... It wasn't until I reached the corner that I realized that they were saying hai, which means yes.  I laughed and smiled and went on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment